We were instructed to rewrite the ending of the Outsiders. We then had to do an overview of what we wrote about. I have attached a copy of this review below. Go check it out!
In ELA, we watched the outsiders movie and read the book. We then rewrote the ending of the of the story. Here is my version. The link is attached below. Go check it out!
Here is a trailer for the movie so you will kind of get an idea of what I am trying to explain.
I am loving the book so far!! It is very easy to follow and it is very intriguing. I think that the author did a great job adding important details into the story. They make you want to keep reading and finding out what is going to happen next. For example, at the end of chapter 3, she ended it by saying “Things gotta get better, I figured. They couldn’t get worse. I was wrong.” That last part were it says “I was wrong” makes me want to keep reading and find out what is happening. So far, the characters have been described really well. I have a clear picture of what they all look like in my head. I am very excited to see what happens next in the book!
I’m heart broken!
I NEED HELP!! I don’t know what to do! My new husband has been banished from Verona and my father is forcing me to marry another man! A man that I will never love! This man will not leave me alone and I am to be married to this man on Thursday. I have been given the option to fake my death, but if I do my husband, Romeo, may actually think I’m dead! I am in desperate need of your advice. I am willing to do whatever it takes. I really do not want to marry this other man! Isn’t that cheating? How can I cheat on a man that I love more than the man I am cheating with? Please, I need my Romeo back! He is everything to me! My father is forcing me to marry Paris! Please, please reply with some advice.
Waiting for your wise reply!
Desperate, Heart Broken Juliet
Dear Desperate, Heart Broken Juliet,
I can really tell that you don’t want to marry this other man! I think that you should talk to your parents and see what they say. Explain to them the situation that they are in. They may get very mad at you but that’s better than them finding out later. They could be understanding of the situation that you have gotten into. They also could be very mad at you for falling in love with someone from the opposing family! Give them yours reasons why you don’t want to marry this other guy. You could go talk to Friar Lawrence and see if he has a solution for you. He may be able to talk to your parents or maybe even explain to This other guy what is happening. I feel that you shouldn’t have to marry this other man if you really don’t want to! Your parents could be very mad at you so they may not want you to live with them anymore. If this happens you could maybe end up living with Friar Lawrence for a bit or maybe even go live with Romeo. Anyways, I feel that you need to be honest with everyone otherwise you could end up in a lot more trouble, or be in a situation that you don’t want to be in!
I hope that my advice helps you a little bit and hope everything works out for you in the end!
Help! I’m a criminal and I’m wanted in Verona, I want to see my lovely wife Juliet she is left alone in Verona with a creep by the name of Paris or online named “Puffy Paris, ” he wants her and she chose me, he lost fair and square I should be the one to have her not him but I go and kill someone because the person I killed, killed my best friend. Oh, one thing the person that I killed was her cousin so I’m in hot water with her, but I hope things will blow over now I’m waiting for Fair Lawrence to come up with a plan cause he will, he knows I can’t be without her, and she can’t be without me I hope she can come up with something cope with it. Please, I need you to talk me through on what to do. I need your answer NOW!
It sounds like you are in a pretty sticky situation! I think that Friar Lawerence and Juliet will come up with a plan on how to get her out of this situation. I think that you shouldn’t give up on her until you know for sure that you cannot be with her. You need to somehow get in touch with either Friar Lawrence or Juliet herself. If they come up with a plan you need to know the plan if they want Juliet to end up with you. It sounds like Juliet doesn’t want to be with this Paris guy and if that is true she will try her hardest to get away from him. I think the main thing that you need to do is stay in touch with those two people and eventually things will work themselves out!
Hope this helps!
From a Nervous Gentleman,
I really need your help!!!!!!! Now! The girl I really want to marry is already married!!!!! And of course, she is married to a member of her family’s biggest enemy!!!!! ROMEO!!!!! How could she fall in love with someone like that? She is just so perfect! I can’t stand the thought of her being with anyone else besides me! I want her to break up with that dirt bag! She is too good for him! I am planning to marry her on Friday, but I don’t think that she wants to marry me. How do I make her fall in love with me and not Romeo? Should I keep fighting for her love or do I let her go? Please help me! I really don’t know what to do? Please respond as soon as you can. I need advice NOW!! 🙁
From Lonely Banished Boy,
I have a HUGE problem!!!! I ended up killing my wife’s cousin and got banished from the city of Verona! I am no longer able to see my beautiful wife, Juliet. She is the most beautiful girl in the world! Then on top all of this, she was supposed to be marrying another guy on Thursday! And this guy is such a loser! I know that she didn’t want to marry him, but I wasn’t able to go help her because I was banished! The worst part is I just found out that she’s dead!! I can’t live without her! I need to be with her! What should I do!! Should I try and sneak back into Verona and go to her tomb! Should I write a letter to Friar Lawerence to see if he knows what to do? Should I move on a find a new girl? But she is just so beautiful! Please tell me what to do?? I need your help! Respond as soon as you can!
For the past few weeks, we have been working on the story of Romeo and Juliet. We were acting out the play and watching the movie. We are now looking at the different themes of Romeo and Juliet.
2. The first theme is “The uselessness of violence”. Using violence doesn’t lead to anything productive! It only ends with people getting hurt or killed and nothing gets accomplished from it. Apart from the play that really shows this is when Tybalt comes after Romeo because the Montagues came to a Capulet party, and this leads to Mercutio’s death. then Tybalt comes back again and is then killed by Romeo. This leads to Romeo being kicked out of his city and never being able to come back. If this fight had never happened, people wouldn’t be dead and Romeo and Juliet may have been able to be together. Therefore, this violence was useless.
3. The next theme is “Stubbornness and pride leading to death and heartbreak”. This theme means that a person is want something so bad and doesn’t want to give up on it that it leads to heartbreak and in some cases death. This is shown in Romeo and Juliet when Juliet wants to be with Romeo, but her parents want her to marry Paris. Juliet is not OK with this so she goes and talks to Friar Lawrence to see what see should do. He gives her a potion that makes her look and feel like she is dead, but it only lasts for 48 hours. They are then going to tell Romeo their plan and have him come get her from her tomb when she wakes up. The message never gets to Romeo that the death is just fake. He then hears that Juliet has died and go to her tomb and kills himself just as she is waking up. Then Juliet is so heartbroken that she ends up killing herself to be with Romeo. This event in the play relates to this theme because both Romeo and Juliet are too stubborn to leave each other that it causes them to become so heartbroken when one of them dies that the other ends up killing themselves.
4. Another one of the themes is “The strength in young love”. The strength of young love means how much they love each other and how much damage that it does. This plays a major role in the story of Romeo and Juliet. If Romeo had never been in love with Rosaline, then he would have never gone to the Capulets party to find a new girl. That means that he would have never met Juliet and they would have never fallen in love. That would have stopped all the fighting that was happening in Verona and not as many people would be killed. Juliet would have married Paris and they wouldn’t have thought twice about it. Romeo wouldn’t have ended up dead and neither would have Juliet. The other side to this theme is that Romeo and Juliet’s love for each other is so strong that they can’t live without each other. Romeo doesn’t realize that Juliet isn’t dead so then he has to kill himself to be happy. Then she wakes up and sees Romeo dead so she then has to kill herself. that just shows how strong their love for each other is.
5. Another theme is “The dangers of dishonesty”. What I see this theme as the meaning is when you lie to someone they will probably end up finding out and you will be in some sort of trouble that you don’t want to be in. There were a few times in this play that people were dishonest to each other. One of the main times is when the Montagues went to the Capulet party and lied about who they were. If they would have told who they really were, then Romeo would have never had met Juliet. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. It would be bad because Juliet would have to end up marrying Paris, even though she didn’t want to. another time is when Juliet faked her death to get out of marrying Paris. If she would have just told her parents that she didn’t want to and talked it through with them. She didn’t have to “Fake Kill” herself just so she could be with Romeo. In this situation, this caused a lot of deaths that may have never happened if the truth would have been told in the first place.
6. One of the last themes from Romeo and Juliet is “Revenge leads to destruction”. This theme means that when you get revenge on someone, it usually doesn’t go very well. The person that you got revenge on, will usually be mad and end up wanting to get some sort of revenge on you. A great example of this from the play is when the Montague Boys go to the Capulet party Tybalt realizes that they are Montague’s. Tybalt is very upset from this and tries to go talk to Romeo about this. He is trying to get his revenge on them. He only is able to find Mercutio and Benvolio. They want to fight with him and then Mercutio ends up getting stabbed by Tybalt. Then Romeo is very upset with Tybalt that when he comes back to fight with Romeo, Romeo ends up stabbing Tybalt and killing him. All of this revenge on people is only ending badly. People are getting killed and Romeo is banished from his city. If people would let things go once and awhile, there would be less fighting and revenge happening in the world. Revenge is doing nothing good for the two families. It is causing lots of destruction in the city of Verona!
From all of these themes, most people will be able to take something out of them and learn. This is a great play/movie to watch!
Hey Leah, here’s a little gift for you!
We recently completed a fairly brief formative speaking / representing activity. Each of you had pick out five images that you would then base a short story on; your five pictures had to represent aspects of the beginning, middle, and ending of your future story-to-be. The twist, though, was that I then said I was going to give your Five Frames to someone else randomly for them to develop a short story that matched the pictures you selected. It caught you all off guard, but you had a great time with it.
When you’d finished writing it out, you presented it by reading your written story aloud to the class while we followed along with the five images. After that, you went even one step further and added your audio of you reading with the images in a video file. Here’s your video that you made, then! May it be an example of your early work with speaking, writing, and representing and I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy listening to this years down the road near graduation!
I am Sam: Songs That Relate
All You Need is Love- The Beatles
This song is related to I am Sam because when Lucy is on the stand she actually says “all you need is love”. This sort of proves her point when she says that. Also they had other Beatles songs in the movie, so I thought that it would fit well.
“My Little Girl” Tim McGraw
I choose this song because it fits with the movie in the way that Lucy is Sam’s little girl. The song talks about his daughter leaving. That is almost what is happening to Sam. The song is more about the daughter leaving home, but it still fits. This song would fit best when they are riding on the bus, when Lucy said that they could go to the park but they really were not supposed to.
“See you again” Wiz Khalifa
I choose this song because it sort of shows the message that Sam will see Lucy again. This song would fit best into the scene where Lucy is taken away from Sam. It also talks about family and how that is all that they have.
“Temporary Home” Carrie Underwood
I choose this song because Lucy goes to the house that her adoptive parents live. She doesn’t really like it there and the boy in the song doesn’t really like his foster family’s home either. I feel that it really suits this movie.
A is for the anger that Sam has when Lucy is taken away from him
B is for the birthday party that Sam threw for Lucy’s 7th birthday
C is for the court room that Sam has to go to
D is for the disappointment that Sam’s friends had when he didn’t come to movie night
E is for the excitement that Lucy has when she is reunited with Sam
F is for the fun that Sam and Lucy have together on the swing
G is for Gertie, Lucy’s social worker
H is for the happiness that Sam and Lucy have when they are together
I is for iHop, the restaurant that Sam always goes to
J is for judgement that Sam gets
K is for the kindness Sam has for everyone
L is for love Sam has for Lucy
M is for Lucy’s mother that ran away
N is for the new house that Sam bought near Lucy’s adopted family
O is for opportunity that Sam had to see his daughter
P is for the principal at Lucy’s school
Q is for quietness of Sam’s home after Lucy is taken away.
R is for Rita, Sam’s lawyer.
S is for the soccer game that Lucy played in
T is for the time that Sam and Lucy spent together
U is for the unpleasant opinions of people towards Sam
V is for the video that Sam watched of Lucy on the stand
W is for the wall that Sam made out of newspaper origami
X is for the xylophone that Lucy never had
Y is for yelling Sam did at Big Boy Bob’s
Z is for zigzags in Lucy’s drawings
1. In the movie “I am Sam” they had different music to play at different times. They played different themes to show the mood of the scene. At the very beginning, they played cheerful, happy music when Sam was working at Starbucks and right before He went to the hospital when Lucy was being born. They did this to show that it was a happy scene. When Lucy and Sam were doing the weekly visit, there was music playing in the background that showed that the mood was kind of sad. They wanted to be together more often but they were unable to be. Another one would be when Lucy runs out of the bathroom and tells he dad that the lady said they could go to park. When they were on the bus the music was a bit more cheerful. That is because they were both together and happy.
3. There were a few different characters in this movie that grew by the end. A great example of this is Rita. When she was first introduced, she didn’t want anything to do with Sam and was very rude. All she did was yell at people through the phone. Also Rita didn’t spend anytime with her son and she was mad at him for not wanting to talk to her. By the middle of the movie she was starting to work with Sam but still didn’t really want to. also her son was still sort of mad at her for not ever wanting to spend time with her. By the end of the movie she was really starting to enjoy working with Sam. Rita’s son was also warming up to her and was talking to her again. In this movie, Rita really grew from the beginning to the end. she learned that life wasn’t all about work and that you need some time with your family. Sam taught her that you need to learn patients and worry less about everything else. Overall, Rita really grew but, that was with the help of Sam. They both helped each other in some way. Sam also grew a little bit during this movie. he realized that he really wanted to be with Lucy. Sam really tried his hardest to get Lucy back. He moved closer to where her adoptive family lived and tried to visit her as much as possible. Lucy was the other character that grew. She grew in they way that she was embarrassed to be with her father. By the end she wanted to be with her father no matter what other people were saying about him. She didn’t want to live with her foster family anymore. Lucy realized and said all you need is love, so that is why she wanted to be with her father who really loved her.
4. There was three main acts in this movie. I think that the first act was from the start of the movie until Lucy was older and the people were staring to wonder if she needed to be taking into child custody. The second part was when they were deciding to take Lucy away, while they were in court up until Lucy was adopted. the last one would be when Lucy was with her foster family. That act lasted until the end of the movie. I feel that they did a good job of splitting up the different acts. It made the movie really easy to follow.
5. “I am Sam” is really based around Sam’s abilities and mental capacity, but there is a few times that Sam proves to be more insightful than others. the part that stands out the most for me is when Sam says that “all you need is love”. You don’t need to worry about all the little things in life. Spend time with your family and don’t waste your time worrying. he never worries about what people will think of him. Unless people start to get in his head that he isn’t good enough. Sam is the one that teaches Rita to spend less time on work and spend more time with your family. Also that you need to have patients.
6. Rita’s life is parallel to Sam’s. For example when Sam wants his food to be sorted into colors because it was all mashed together, Rita says don’t be impossible. Rita then orders right after Sam and says that she wants an egg white omelet with all of these extra things. She can also be impossible. Another great example is how Rita thinks that her life is falling apart. everyone else thinks that she has a great life and has no problems. She ends up having a life that is very similar to Sam’s. they both are single parents, struggling to get there children to like them and people are always judging both of them. Rita may not have the disability that Sam has, but there lives are very similar to each other.
7. The producers of this movie used camera angles to help the viewers interpret the scene. whenever Sam is having a problem or is getting stressed out, the camera changes angles really rapidly. An example of this would be when Sam is in court and is getting really stressed and wondering why Lucy can not come home with him, the camera is flashing around in all different angles and directions. They show Sam, Rita, and the judge. other angles that are used help you tell if the scene is going to be happy or sad. When Sam and Lucy are on the swings, the camera angle is from above them. that shows how happy they are and how much fun that they are having. An example for a time that they are trying to show a sad scene is when Sam is watching Lucy through a TV screen. the camera angle is straight on or even a little bit pointing up. That shows that it is a bit more of a serious scene. Overall they did a great job of using camera angles to show the mood.